Thursday, August 28, 2014

The beginning of the end.

Ah, 2004. There were no iPhones or twitter, and Facebook was still only for Harvard students. A simpler time, some would say. It's summer, and I am working at a marina on a local lake. This was the beginning of an era for me. For 4 summers I worked at this marina, which is a family owned business. Working here is kind of a right of passage among my cousins.

I can't remember ever dreading going to work, as well, I shouldn't have dreaded it. I was only 14, and working was still fun. There's nothing I really remember not liking about this job. This is probably because things are always better in memories. However, my mother tells me I hated the customer service side. Go figure. It's definitely not my favorite thing. 

Hop back in my time machine for a short trip to 2007. It's the start of my senior year, and I have a job for my high school co-op (or work study) program. This job was in an office that had programs that worked with the community. I was hired to accompany one of the program leaders to area schools, but because of insurance reasons I was grounded to the office. Though this did not bother me, as I am more of a behind the scenes kind of girl. I did the usual clerical things, like make copies and mail newsletters. One of my more undesirable tasks was cleaning and organizing the supply closet. I shudder at the mere thought of that closet. Overall, I liked this job a lot, and can only be thankful that I got to spend some time with the people I worked with. 

I know you must be thinking, "Why does she think these jobs could be classified as unsuccessful employment?" I don't. These were jobs I held in high school, so I consider these successes. It was a success that I even get out of bed for something other than school.

The next job I'll tell you about is my descent into the abyss that is horrible jobs. Now, I don't want to overreact. Things and jobs that I would describe as horrible and abominable may not be what you would describe as that, but I am also known as a complainer. As I tell my nearest and dearest, deal with it. As excited as I'm sure you are, the rest must wait until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment