Wednesday, August 27, 2014

"Go to college," they said. "Get a good job," they said.

Hi! My name is Courtney and, as you can tell from the name of this blog, I am what I like to so lovingly describe as unsuccessfully employed. What does that mean, you ask? Well, it all began on the day I started college. Back then I really had no idea what I wanted to do. And let's face it, I still don't, but that's another story for another time. Anyways, I started off as an accounting major. That lasted all of one semester. After that I thought social work might be a good fit. Nope. Didn't even have the chance to change my major with the registrar before I decided I wanted to teach. That also only lasted for a semester. After I took an abnormal psych class my sophomore year of college I decided psychology was the perfect thing for me. It was interesting and wasn't too difficult that I would lose all drive to finish school. A few short years later, May 2012 to be exact, I graduated from college with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Twenty seven months after my college graduation I have yet to have a job that requires a psychology degree, much less, any sort of college degree. Now, I'm not complaining about my job, or any job I've had, because I am lucky to have a job. You know, with today's economy and job market and blah blah blah... we all read the news. I'm just saying, I don't want to feel like I wasted those 4 years in college, and don't even get me started on paying off student loans, yikes. This isn't going to be about me complaining about having a paying job and being a tax-paying citizen (#firstworldproblems am I right?), I'm just here to recount my stories of working to pay good ol' Sallie Mae in a minimum wage world. And maybe if I write them down, all those jobs I hated so much will have meant something. Well, a girl can dream, can't she?

I am happy to be working, I just want (and need) a job that makes me happy. And the ones I'm here to tell you about do not. They do make for interesting stories, though. So, if you're ready to jump in my time machine, we're are going to take it back to 2004. Cue the flashback music they use in movies.



And this is, what they like to call in show business, a cliffhanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment